|Real Estate Information|
Buying Overseas Property
Fourteen Top Tips for Overseas Property Investment:
1. Buy what you want to buy. The most important decision when buying a property is deciding exactly what you want the property to do for you. Is it purely for short term capital gain to provide a one-off profit over a particular period of time? Or is it to provide long term regular income? Or is it mainly for your own use as a holiday home?
2. Ignore the hard sell. Many people go to dedicated overseas property exhibitions or go on overseas trips or "inspection flights" to view properties. It is important to stay focused on what you originally had in mind. Do not be swayed by the hard sell of estate agents.
3. Be careful buying off-plan. Off-plan involves buying a property before it is built. You cannot see exactly what you are buying and it can be a long time before the property and surrounding development is completed. Problems can arise if the building is not constructed according to the original schedule.
4. Allow 10% extra for expenses. The cost of buying a property abroad (taxes, conveyancing, lawyers fees, agents fees, VAT, etc) can be much higher than in your own country. The total can add up to 10% to the cost of buying a property.
5. Buying in an up-and-coming area. This will increase your capital appreciation. Buying in the fashionable areas of Spain or France means that property prices are already expensive and may not increase much further, or increase at a slower pace than in the past. Buying in a less-fashionable area of Spain or France, or in the up-and-coming property markets of Bulgaria, Turkey, and Croatia where prices are still low will increase the chance of a rapid price increase. It is important to note that the less-fashionable and up-and-coming areas still need to have all the virtues of the more established destinations. What you are really looking for is an undiscovered property hotspot. Often such places are neighbouring the more fashionable and expensive areas.
6. Buy a property in a place that is popular with locals as well as tourists. You should always think of the exit route from your investment. The day will come when you want to sell your property and you will want to have the largest possible potential market. Ideally your investment property should be an attractive property for investors of different nationalities as well as a possible home for local residents.
7. Adequate shops, restaurants, and facilities. Most people who want to use a property as a holiday home will want to be near shops, restaurants, and other facilities. This is particularly important if you want a rental income from your investment.
8. Is there an airport nearby? Is there adequate public transport? People who rent property will want somewhere that is easy to get to and will often gravitate to those places with a nearby airport.
9. Consider the property off-season. The property and area might look lovely in summer when all the restaurants and bars are open. But what about winter? Do all the facilities close? Does the area become a "ghost town"?
10. A room with a view. A view is a major bonus from both the rental and the resale perspective. A sea view is top of most peoples list but rural or mountain views can be just as stunning. Nothing beats sitting on a balcony or roof terrace wathcing the setting sun. Beware though that views can change and your beautiful view could be replaced by a view of a new concrete apartment block. Check local planning regulations carefully!
11. Check the inheritance laws of the country where you are buying. You may need a separate will made in that country as well as a will made in your home country. In France for example your children automatically inherit your house; your estate does not pass to your spouse.
12. Get your own independent advice. Do not rely on a lawyer recommended by the property agent or developer.
13. Learn the language of the country you are buying in. You don't have to become fluent but you should learn as much as you can.
14. Above all, buy a property YOU like in a place YOU like. The chances are that if you love it and would enjoy staying there then others will too!
Copyright 2005 Hugh Griffin
Through my website at saharapress.biz I provide independent advice on buying property abroad. With many years of experience my advice is highly recommended by past clients. Follow my guidelines at the-place-in-the-sun.tk if you are considering buying a home or investment property abroad.
Home Inspectors - Negotiating a Lower Price
To help you negotiate a fair sale price for a home, it's best to get an appraisal and inspection report. Even if you agree directly with the home seller on a sale price, you may want these items to safeguard the value of your new investment.
Where is Florida Investment Property
Florida Investment Property - Why Investing is a Wise Decision There are many reasons to purchase investment property in Florida, the foremost being value appreciation. Property values generally rise while debt decreases; making real estate purchases a good investment.
Secrets of Making Money from Real Estate - Part 5
Where to from here:One property is great, but It wont make you very wealthy. Below is the expansionary model of what I think a good real estate portfolio should look like.
Selling Your Home Quickly, Even if You Have No Money For Repairs
Do you need to sell your home quickly? If so, don't be tempted by the ads you see that say "We Buy Houses" or "Sell Your Ugly House in 9 days for Cash." Those types of ads are placed by real estate investors who are looking for sellers under duress, and they'll only pay up to 70% of the low end market value for your home.
Condos Vs. Condo Hotels For Vacaton Home Ownership
Condo hotels, also called condotels, are a relatively new concept in vacation home ownership. Rapidly gaining popularity, numerous condo hotels are now being built in Florida, Las Vegas, Chicago, Toronto, the Caribbean and many other locales around the U.
Notify Them When Youre Moving
One of your first steps, when you're getting ready to move, is to pick up a stack of change-of-address cards from the post office. Yes, old-fashioned go-by-snail post cards! You'll want to notify everyone in your address book and also.
Top Tips for Buying and Selling a Home
BuyersLooking for a home-Use Internet for overview of properties, communities, and schools. -Visit potential neighborhoods at different times of day.
Condo Hotel Trends - A Look at the Big Picture in Vacation Home Ownership
Condo hotels are one of the hottest products in today's real estate market. New properties are cropping up in different parts of the country and new buyers are entering the market daily.
How To Best Negotiate A House Deal
Whether it's selling your home or buying a home, more often than not you'll come across a stage where you'd have to negotiate. Negotiation is the art of getting what you want at your terms and conditions.
What You Can Do To Sell Your Home Fast
Yes, you want to sell your home and you want to sell it fast. It may be a seller's market and every other home in your neighbourhood is selling and you think it's going to be a cakewalk selling your home.
Seven Tips in Choosing Maui Income Properties
Aloha! If you are interested in choosing a Maui income property, then there are some details that you should know. You might be a bit intimidated by the whole process of buying a home.
Just Give Me Eleven Reasons to Buy in Dubai
Buying overseas property is not always for the fainthearted but we think Dubai is an exception to this. Here are eleven reasons to buy in Dubai:1.
Important Facts For Home Buyers
If you are considering buying a home or have spent many years saving in preparation of buying a home, the questions and process involved in buying a home can be extremely stressful. As exciting as it is to begin looking for your new home, there are many unexpected costs and details to be considered before contacting a real estate agent.
Make Money With Room Rentals
I don't know why I didn't do it sooner, but one day many years ago, I decided to try renting rooms in my home. I was young and single, and had a nice mobile home on small piece of property.
Budgeting Your Log Home - Creating a Checklist
If you've read my first article, BUDGETING YOUR LOG HOME: Where do you start?, you've got a very basic overview of the process. However, there are still a number of questions I'd like to address.
Florida Real Estate Exploding For 15+ More Years?
YEEHAW!!!!!! The south will rise again!! Can't you just imagine the Dukes of Hazard boys sitting on the hood of their car (the General Lee) grinning in front of a For Sale sign in their yard? Well, they should be smiling with the prices in the south, and especially in Florida. But will this Florida real estate trend continue? That is the $100,000 question.
How Do I Bring Consulting Into My Lease Purchase Business
As you are making your cold calls on property, you will run into sellers that are having a hard time selling, however, the numbers just don't work for you to take on the deal. Do you just say, "I can't work with those numbers".
Home Hunting and the Internet
So, it's home hunting time. Where do you start? Who do you contact? Well, home hunting has been made much easier with the advent of the Internet.
Investment Real Estate -- A New Twist: Be the Bank, Not the Landlord, and Get Rich Without the Work!
I was a landlord for a decade, and I believe I probably lost a year of life for each year I tried to maintain 26 properties. I learned the hard way that the most efficient way to make money in investment real estate is to create a mortgage note and be the bank - not the landlord.
One Stop Shop for Buy to Let
As the buy to let market continues to go from strength to strength, a unique selling opportunity has been created for landlords looking to dispose of both residential and commercial buy to let property with the ability for transactions to take place directly between landlords.Set up by experienced property investors with an acute understanding of all aspects involved in buying and selling of investment property.
|home | site map|