|Real Estate Information|
To Buy or Not to Buy
Purchasing a home is a major emotional and financial decision. Often times, people want to buy a home; however, emotionally cannot afford to commit to the home-buying process. They are, in fact, afraid. "My payment will be too high" or "What if I lose my job," are some of the "excuses" which I often hear. People do not realize that they are able to meet all the commitments over their life span.
In any event, when everything is said and done, here are some of the major advantages of buying a home:
1. Quality of Life. Home-buying and living in your home affects the quality of life. It adds to your confidence, giving you a sense of pride and satisfaction. You have a sense of emotional well-being as well as peace of mind.
2. Tax Deductibility of Mortgage Interest. The entire mortgage interest payment is tax-deductible and the "net" cost of the mortgage payment actually puts money in your pocket.
3. Tax Deductibility of Property Taxes. Similarly, the property taxes are due and payable twice a year and may seem like a lot of waste of money. Typically, property taxes are $1.10/$1,000 of your purchase price. However, the property taxes are also tax deductible and you get it back in the form of tax savings.
4. Appreciation Potential. Typically and historically, nationwide property values have gone up in value at 7% per year. In California and some other states, properties have, in certain good economic times, appreciated at the rate of over 20% per year. At 7% conservative rate, the property doubles up in value in 10 years. So, a property worth $500,000 will be worth $1,000,000, equaling a gain of $50,000 on a yearly basis. For an average person, it is difficult to save that kind of money.
5. Deferred Capital Gain Treatment. Real estate investment capital gains can be deferred by exchanging the property for like-kind property. So, when the property appreciates and you decide to sell it and do no want to pay the capital gains tax, you can buy another property of like-kind and avoid capital gains tax. This allows you to switch properties when required, for example, an area might be facing downturn or you might be moving, etc.
6. Once in a Lifetime Exclusion. Upon the sale of a personal residence, the IRS allows an exemption and one does not have to pay taxes on a gain of $250,000, if single and up to a gain of $500,000, if married. For example, if you're single and buy a property and live there for five years and the property appreciates by $250,000, you can sell the property and not pay any taxes at all.
7. Principal Accumulation. This is strongly tied to appreciation in the property value. Payments made toward the mortgage payment help you accumulate principal which essentially helps you establish a reserve savings account which you can later tap into by obtaining an equity line of credit or getting an equity loan, if needed.
8. Pride in Your Home. It is fun to invite people to "your" home and feel good about it. It also instills confidence in your family, your children and makes them more confident individuals.
9. No Landlord. You are in-charge and do not have to deal with a landlord who might not make repairs or maintain the property as you would like.
10. Leverage. Where else can you buy this size of an investment with 0-5-10% down. You can buy a property for a personal residence for as low as zero down or an investment property with 5-10% down, if your credit is good, and watch the investment grow. This, in turn, allows the net investment return to be much higher (than the actual appreciation rate on the value of the property). To follow up on the example earlier, if the property grows at 7% and doubles in value, since the amount invested in buying the property might be only $50,000 (at 10% down payment), the actual return is much higher on $50,000 investment.
11. The Real Cost of Renting! At $700 per month, with a 6% rental increase per year, you will pay $110,719 over a 10 year period. If the rent is higher, you can count on paying much more and not getting any return or tax benefits at all.
Madan "Raja" Ahluwalia is an Attorney at Law and Realtor. Raja possesses a thorough understanding of the real estate market and trends, based on years of involvement in real estate, both for his clients and for his own investment purposes. Contact Raja via e-mail at email@example.com and at 650.430.4023.
Dont Just GET THE DEED - The Infamous Kitchen Table Closing
Q: Hi Lou, I have a property under contract that I want to resell/flip as-is to a rehabber/renovator, but I may have to purchase it quickly and simply record the Quit Claim Deed, without using a closing attorney or waiting for a title exam. I need your advice.
Whats This about a Housing Bubble?
In his recent testimony, Alan Greenspan warned against the possiblity that we have seen home prices plateau. The bursting of the "bubble" could cause a big hit to the U.
Selling A Home - What Attachments Stay or Go?
The home selling and buying process can be confusing. This is especially true when it is a FSBO (for sale by owner) operation.
Real Estate Investing Deals That SkyRocket Your Net Worth 10-Fold
Consider these parameters for a real estate deal:Property Value: $250,000 Purchase Price: $160,000 Repairs: $2,500If you analyze the numbers, you see that the equity available in this deal is $87,500 (Property Value minus Purchase Price minus Repairs).So here's a hypothetical question for you: Assuming that the information above is accurate, and the property is located in an area that you view as acceptable and/or favorable, then:If I offered to give you this deal in exchange for $10,000 in cash, would you do it?Remember - this is hypothetical.
Secrets of Making Money from Real Estate - Part 2
Leverage: With real estate, people and companies will lend you money to invest. How much real estate can you buy with $20,000? Probably between $100,000-$300,000, depending on the lender.
How To Get The Best Rental Accommodation In The Area By Using Your Capital
My report is for you to use your power to negotiate, not only a reduced weekly cost of accommodation, but also to get the best accommodation available in the area in which you wish to live.Hello Colm Dillon here .
What Are the Pitfalls of Marketing a Property Before Its Ready?
Selling quickly is a high priority for some home sellers. A job transfer can prompt the need to relocate on short notice.
Why Canadian Real Estate is Such Good Value
Real estate agents, Canadian citizens and foreign investors interested in the Canadian property market are all in agreement - as Canada becomes a more desirable place to live year on year so property investment in Canada becomes a more attractive prospect year on year.Furthermore, because property in Canada is high quality, plentiful, incredibly affordable and easy to purchase, real estate in Canada is good value across the board.
Timing Clauses Stop Sellers From Inciting Bidding War
It is no secret that the current real estate market is hot, hot, hot. Sellers can receive multiple bids for their property on the same day.
A Real Estate Primer
There are a great many books and web sites devoted to real estate investing out there, but most of them concentrate on one specific area of investing. It's often hard to find a general description of real estate investing, one that lists the various real estate investing strategies and how to get started.
Choosing a Realtor
Purchasing a property, either as an investor or as a prospective homeowner can be one of the most exhilarating and frightening experiences of your life. In both situations it is imperative that you find just the right property at the right price.
Home Inspections or Home Warranty?
Homebuyers are a curious lot. They routinely ask thought-provoking questions.
Various Aspects Of The Lease Purchase Business
In a previous article, we wrote why we believe that Lease Purchasing is the perfect home-based business, here we want to briefly touch on some of the actual aspects of operating such a business, the pluses and minuses and why Lease Purchasing represents a win-win situation for the seller, the tenant/buyer and just as importantly, you, as the business owner. One of your goals in operating a Lease Purchase business is to contract for property that you then move to the tenant/buyer.
How to Sell Your House For Full Price
Many people believe that a real estate broker is needed to sell their house. So they post it with a broker who may or may not sell it and if they do charge exorbitant fees.
Understanding Title Insurance
Title to a property is a record detailing the owners of the property and rights associated with the ownership. Title typically shows a progression of ownership from the first owner to the current one.
Maui Realtors: What You Need To Know
Maui is a great place for families of any size. However, before you plan a move to Maui and contact those Maui Realtors, there are some considerations that you should take care of.
Rapid City Real Estate Agents
Take me Back to the Black HillsLocated in Western South Dakota, Rapid City is a thriving community with many amenities to offers its residents. This city is nestled among the beautiful Black Hills, offering endless recreational activities for the outdoor enthusiast in the Black Hills National Forest.
Log Homes - What is the Log-Home Lifestyle?
Typical log home company advertisements in popular log home magazines talk about the "log home lifestyle" or "it's not just a home, it's a lifestyle." What does this mean? What is "the" log home lifestyle?It's often difficult to discuss the particulars of log home living without also talking about where the log home is located.
How Come No One Told Us About This When We Were Buying a Home?
Development, it's bound to happen.Simply because there is a large open field, or the property you're looking at borders woods, doesn't mean it will or can stay that way in the future.
Landlords Dance The FICO Fandango
Fair Isaac Corporation is the creator of the FICO credit score that is used today by most lenders to evaluate consumer credit risk. FICO scores range from a poor credit low of 500 to a best credit rating of 850.
|home | site map|