|Real Estate Information|
10 Tips for Investing in Distressed or Foreclosed Properties
1. Search on the world wide web for distressed or foreclosed properties as a starting point. Use a professional REALTOR to identify great foreclosure deals for you. You may be successful at searching the web on your own, but keep in mind some of the information is outdated, some may be incorrect, and some of the available properties are not even listed. A REALTOR subscribes to updated MLS listings and can offer you the most current information available.
2. If you search yourself for distressed properties and purchase from the selling agent, you are paying a commission to someone with a vested interest. Obtain objectivity in the sale by working with your own REALTOR. You won't pay any more. Technically, everyone works for the seller, since they pay the commission.
3. With distressed or foreclosed properties, time is of the essence. Purchasers must close on the date specified by the agency, and cannot close after this without penalties of $25-200 per day.
4. It takes 1-3 weeks to qualify a loan. If you are approved for a loan, make sure you are qualified by your lender as soon as possible. If you are paying by cash, make certain funds are available. If finances are in order, the REALTOR will then submit an offer. When the offer is accepted by both seller and buyer, the REALTOR will submit the ratified contract to the lender and closing agent. These steps will begin the process of a successful real estate transaction.
5. When purchasing a distressed property, always obtain 3-4 bids from different contractors to estimate costs of repairs, if you do not plan on doing the work yourself.
6. If you are going to sell the property after rehabilitating it, ask your REALTOR to research similar properties in the neighborhood to ascertain market price.
7. Keep copious records for tax deductions. Any expenses related to the purchase, repair, or maintenance of the property may qualify. Meticulous records are key to a profitable real estate venture.
8. The title you receive after purchasing a distressed or foreclosed property is a special warranty deed rather than a general warranty deed. Some buyers are alarmed by this, but there is no need to worry. The purchase of title insurance protects the buyer. Each lender purchases insurance to protect the loan as well. Titling insurance should be obtained by the property purchaser. It is always offered by the closing agent. Consider using an attorney instead of a titling company as your closing agent. An attorney is only $50-75 more than a titling company. A real estate attorney can remedy any situation that may arise. Therefore, they are more efficient representatives on time sensitive foreclosure properties.
9. Foreclosure properties require special addendums and special contracts by the individual bank and HUD office (where applicable).
10. Foreclosure properties are potentially the most profitable, but require the most attention to detail. A REALTOR experienced in foreclosure deals is highly desirable because the paperwork must be in order to submit a proper bid, and timeliness is critical.
About The Author
Elaine VonCannon is a REALTOR with RE/Max Capital in Williamsburg, Virginia, and she manages investment property as part of her business. Her husband Joe is a contractor who collaborates with her on rehabilitation of properties. She has helped numerous clients invest in and make money on property investments in Southeastern Virginia. firstname.lastname@example.org
Make Your House Earn Its Keep
Did you realise that there is a lot you can do get an income from what is probably your most valuable asset? Not only is your property a great (long-term) investment, your home could also bring you an income while you are still living in it. Here are some ideas to make your property really earn its keep.
Dead Deals and Recycled Reports
Everyone knows that at the end of a home inspection, a report is generated that outlines the findings of the home inspector. But did you know that this is not intended to be a "hit list" of negatives? Us home inspectors do what we do in order to objectively describe the home.
Lock In Big Profits By Offering Rent To Own Deals
Why would anyone accept a lease option, rent to own deal? Why would you, as a seller/investor look to find rent to own tenants? How can you use this technique to LOCK IN profits that are much greater than would be found in a straight sale?Basically, the advantages depend on which of two end results occur: either the rent to own tenant completes on the property, or they don't. You make money either way!There are MANY people who have less than sterling credit, might not have a long time on the job, or not have a ton of money for down payment, closing, etc.
Buying New Construction...How Do I Begin?
The prospect of shopping for a new construction residence can be quite daunting, but the rewards of owning a brand new home out-weight the disadvantages if you know the potential pitfalls. The following are important considerations: Overall Dollar Budget, Location, Cost Per Square Foot, Finishes, Upgrades, Parking and Delivery Date.
New or Old House?
A lot of buyers think that a new house is the way to go but it's important to have some knowledge of quality and of the builder. New paint, carpet, doors, windows and cabinets are a quick and easy sell.
10 "No Money Down" Ways to Buy Real Estate
Turn the Television on any Sunday morning and you'll find yourself in the middle of a "how to buy real estate" infomercial. Can you really buy a house with no down payment? Can you really make thousands or millions of dollars buying real estate.
Is Second Home Ownership In Your Future?
According to the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), a record 2.82 million second homes were sold in 2004.
Important Facts For Home Buyers
If you are considering buying a home or have spent many years saving in preparation of buying a home, the questions and process involved in buying a home can be extremely stressful. As exciting as it is to begin looking for your new home, there are many unexpected costs and details to be considered before contacting a real estate agent.
Why Commercial Real Estate is the Hottest Retirement Asset
For small business owners, commercial real estate investment is the hottest new retirement asset. If your mind has already jumped to "REITs" - or shares in Real Estate Investment Trusts - think again.
Join the Bulgarian Property Boom With Confidence
An Irish property investor in Sydney, Australia has created an investment kit that provides potential buyers with all of the relevant facts, figures and information to confidently buy Bulgarian property, which grew an average of 30% in 2004. "Bulgarian Property - The Overseas Buyers' Kit" contains a complete guide to the tax and ownership laws, calculators and various information-gathering templates.
Investing in Real Estate for Your Retirement (and Now!)
You've probably heard a lot of opposing information about Investing in Real Estate, which is completely annoying! The straight-forward fact about Real Estate is that it is probably the best and safest investment you'll ever make, especially if you live in it, and that you are far more likely to make money in this market than with any other type of investing. The chances are very slim that you'll wake up one morning and the housing market will have dropped by 40%.
Buying Houses at Discount Prices
Buying a house is the best way you can create immediate equity. Gaining equity through buying a house is something which is very easy to do, as long as you follow these guidelines.
Real Estate Investing In Bulgaria
As Bulgaria readies for joining the European Economic Community in 2007, many investors are looking to see if there are real estate bargains to be had there.Other countries have had a big run up before and shortly after joining the European Economic Community.
Virtual Agent? Online Real Estate
When preparing to sell a house, you should always consider the options of selling a home privately or listing with a real estate agent. Of course, the most cost effective option would be to sell your home privately, but what about the number of Home Buyers in the market who are not willing to consider a private sale listing?I am a firm believer that people should be able to sell a home privately but, like a lot of people, was not the kind of person who would be comfortable buying from a Private Home Seller.
Condo Hotel Trends - A Look at the Big Picture in Vacation Home Ownership
Condo hotels are one of the hottest products in today's real estate market. New properties are cropping up in different parts of the country and new buyers are entering the market daily.
Relocation Humor: Why I Bought A House
The Rental Experience in South FloridaReaders: This is based on a true experience -- only slightly exaggerated -- part of my life of adventure.If I had read my own book, Making the Big Move, and followed my own advice, none of this would have happened! A word to the wise .
Is Housing and Real Estate Bubble Hype Irrational Exuberance?
Not so, says the author of this article and four real estate books including the recent "1001 Tips for Buying and Selling a Home". The upside of the hype is for real estate consumers and investors.
Home Inspectors - Negotiating a Lower Price
To help you negotiate a fair sale price for a home, it's best to get an appraisal and inspection report. Even if you agree directly with the home seller on a sale price, you may want these items to safeguard the value of your new investment.
Water, Water Everywhere on the Waterfront
Waterfront living is among the most desirable of locations in our area (Florida). The views and vistas are fantastic, not to mention the ability to walk out one's door to drop a line to fish or untie a line to enjoy boating.
Want A $10,000 House?
How do you find a house for ten or twenty thousand dollars? In three steps:1. Find towns that are affordable.
|home | site map|